Every year on March 20, the United Nations celebrates the International Day of Happiness. With our planet experiencing unprecedented challenges, it is more important than ever to be happy.
The purpose of the International Day of Happiness is to raise awareness on the value of happiness in one’s life and the overall impact it can have on a person’s well-being.
Indeed, the alarming global crises, pandemic, political tensions, economic hardships and are enough to keep us in a state of melancholy. The economy and people’s livelihoods have been severely harmed. This means that in many regions, happiness is at an all-time low. However, it will do us a huge benefit if we cultivate and commit to being happy.
“Build Back Happier” is the theme for 2022, and is aimed at achieving global recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. Families and friends have been unable to be together for long periods of time due to lockdowns and pandemic-related norms.
Where do happiness come from?
Happiness can come from the good things of life, as well as pleasurable activities such as philanthropic works. However, the happiness that pleasurable activities gives is ephemeral, whereas the pleasure that philanthropic activities gives lasts longer because it gives intrinsic motivation, which is a motivation that its driven by internal rewards, and which gives a sense of satisfaction or accomplishment.
Facts about happiness
- 50% of your happiness is genetically determined
- 40% of your happiness is determined by intentional activities, behaviour and practices that we voluntarily pursue, such as helping others, adopting positive attitude, exercise or striving for goals.
- 10% of your happiness is determined by life’s circumstances, for example material wealth, marriage, employment status, income and possessions to mention a few
Benefits of being happy
- Happy people are less likely to fall sick or suffer debilitating diseases.
- Happy people have better social relationships
- Happy people live longer
- Happy people are better organisational citizens
How to cultivate happiness
- Be intentional; treat happiness like your routine exercise
- Commit to happiness
- Work on being happy
In this life, there will always be trouble. When you worry you make your trouble double.
Be happy! Stay Happy!